This is dish is one of my husband's favourites and we often have it on special occasions - I thoroughly recommend you try it. For some reason despite a relatively standard ingredient list the result is exceptional! Serves 4 people generously.
- Cube and shallow fry a 225g packet halloumi. Remove from the pan to a bowl
- Chop 1 large red onion and 1 red pepper and fry in olive oil until soft and slightly brown
- Chop and add 5 garlic cloves to the vegetable mixture
- Boil the kettle twice and add water to a large pan with some olive oil
- Add 500g dried penne to the boiling water and cook until done - al dente works best with this dish. The pasta will probably be done just as you finish the sauce but keep an eye on it
- Grind in a pestle and mortar 1.5 tsp mixed peppercorns and add 1.5 tsp dried chilli flakes. Add this to the pan and fry for a few mins
- Measure out and then add 150ml red wine and 200ml double cream to the vegetables, allow to come to the boil gently and then simmer for a couple of minutes
- Microwave a 250g bag of baby spinach according to instructions and add this to the pan
- Drain and cut into strips a small jar of mixed roasted peppers and add to the sauce
- Add the prepared halloumi, stir sauce and adjust for seasoning
- Drain the pasta well, mix pasta and sauce together and serve!
Giving it a go
It would be a bit rubbish if I had married a veggie and instantly converted myself. That is just not the kind of person I am. However, living with a veggie has meant I have had to adapt and has opened my eyes to a whole world of wonderful food I had never experienced before. I love cooking and eating and sharing this with the person I share my life with is therefore obviously important to me, so this has meant when I cook for us both at home, I cook veggie. I am not dead set on becoming a vegetarian right now and am not sure if I will in the future but I have been so inspired by the many vegetarian/vegan blogs out there that I was itching to start my own. So here we go.