I started with Vegan Dad's recipe and ended up modifying it quite a bit based on what I had at home. I absolutely adore his recipes! They are always tasty and pretty - not always the easiest with veggie food.
- Dice and fry half a white onion with half a green pepper for 5minutes
- Drain and rinse 1 can of chick peas and blitz until broken down but still lumpy in a food processor. Add the onion mix and blitz once more
- Transfer to a bowl and add: 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp cornflour, 2 tbsp regular flour, a squeeze of lime juice, 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander and 1 tbsp garlic chilli sauce
- Mix really well and put in the fridge for 20min
- Make 10 patties from this mix and shallow fry in 2 batches turning half way until golden
- Serve with a salad made from 3 chopped tomatoes, handful of coriander, 1/4 chopped onion and 1 sliced avocado. Dress the salad with a splash of olive oil, lime juice and salt
Giving it a go
It would be a bit rubbish if I had married a veggie and instantly converted myself. That is just not the kind of person I am. However, living with a veggie has meant I have had to adapt and has opened my eyes to a whole world of wonderful food I had never experienced before. I love cooking and eating and sharing this with the person I share my life with is therefore obviously important to me, so this has meant when I cook for us both at home, I cook veggie. I am not dead set on becoming a vegetarian right now and am not sure if I will in the future but I have been so inspired by the many vegetarian/vegan blogs out there that I was itching to start my own. So here we go.