Giving it a go

It would be a bit rubbish if I had married a veggie and instantly converted myself. That is just not the kind of person I am. However, living with a veggie has meant I have had to adapt and has opened my eyes to a whole world of wonderful food I had never experienced before. I love cooking and eating and sharing this with the person I share my life with is therefore obviously important to me, so this has meant when I cook for us both at home, I cook veggie. I am not dead set on becoming a vegetarian right now and am not sure if I will in the future but I have been so inspired by the many vegetarian/vegan blogs out there that I was itching to start my own. So here we go.

Monday 18 April 2011

Easy Daal

This is a nice quick recipe, very fullfilling and it keeps well in the fridge for a good few days.
- Rinse 1 handful of channa daal and 1 handful of urid daal under the cold tap
- Tip into the pressure cook and fill 1/3 with water
- Cook on medium gas for about 20mins
- In the mean time fry in a large pan 1 chopped onion with 5 cloves chopped garlic, 1 knob sliced ginger, 2 sliced chillies and 2 tsp salt
- When golden add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp garam masala and cook for a further 2 mins. Stir in 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Put the pressure cooker in the sink and run the cold tap on it for a minute
- When cool open and test the daal - if soft enough add the daal and a little of the liquid to the onions and spices (if not return to the heat for another 5 mins)
- Stir the daal and add more liquid until desired consistency is reached.
- I add about 2/3 of the total liquid
-Test for seasoning and add a handful of chopped coriander

No comments:

Post a Comment