Giving it a go

It would be a bit rubbish if I had married a veggie and instantly converted myself. That is just not the kind of person I am. However, living with a veggie has meant I have had to adapt and has opened my eyes to a whole world of wonderful food I had never experienced before. I love cooking and eating and sharing this with the person I share my life with is therefore obviously important to me, so this has meant when I cook for us both at home, I cook veggie. I am not dead set on becoming a vegetarian right now and am not sure if I will in the future but I have been so inspired by the many vegetarian/vegan blogs out there that I was itching to start my own. So here we go.

Friday 28 January 2011

A very pretty Apple Cake

A nice winter warmer.

- Preheat the oven to 180oC
- Use a round 20cm cake tin with removable base, grease it with butter
- Peel 4 braeburn apples, core and slice them about 2cm thick
- Place in a bowl with 1/2 cup water and microwave for 1 minute until slightly soft
- Drain them and squeeze a little lemon juice on them and stir
- In a free-standing mixer - blend together 1/2 cup butter with 1/2 cup golden caster sugar
- Add 1/2 cup apple sauce, 2 tsps vanilla extract and 3 tbsp soya milk and continue mixing
- Sift in 1 1/2 cups plain flour and 2 1/2 tsp baking powder and mix
- Tip the batter into your cake tin
- Arrange the apples on top
- In a bowl mix together 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Sprinkle this over the apples and bake for 35mins
- Place a few raspberries in the middle and serve warm with custard

No comments:

Post a Comment