Giving it a go

It would be a bit rubbish if I had married a veggie and instantly converted myself. That is just not the kind of person I am. However, living with a veggie has meant I have had to adapt and has opened my eyes to a whole world of wonderful food I had never experienced before. I love cooking and eating and sharing this with the person I share my life with is therefore obviously important to me, so this has meant when I cook for us both at home, I cook veggie. I am not dead set on becoming a vegetarian right now and am not sure if I will in the future but I have been so inspired by the many vegetarian/vegan blogs out there that I was itching to start my own. So here we go.

Friday 28 January 2011

Giant Mediterranean Veg Tart

I tend to have this as a main course on a week night with a big Greek salad (nice and quick), but it also works well as mini tarts for starters at a party.

- Pre heat oven to 200oC
- Roll out 1 large rectangle of Jus-Rol puff pastry. I buy the refrigerated stuff not frozen.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the pastry on this before assembling
- Thinly slice 1 red onion, 1 red pepper and half an aubergine and set aside
- Grate 1 pack halloumi
- Spread the halloumi evenly around the pastry leaving a 1 inch border
- Sprinkle with Italian herb seasoning (my new favourite herb mix, I use Tesco)
- Arrange the veg in whatever pattern you feel like, sprinkle very little salt (the cheese is very salty), black pepper, a little more Italian seasoning and 5 tbsp olive oil.
- Brush milk around the border and stick in the oven for around 25mins until golden and puffed up
- You will likely need to drain off the water from the aubergine halfway through cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment