Giving it a go

It would be a bit rubbish if I had married a veggie and instantly converted myself. That is just not the kind of person I am. However, living with a veggie has meant I have had to adapt and has opened my eyes to a whole world of wonderful food I had never experienced before. I love cooking and eating and sharing this with the person I share my life with is therefore obviously important to me, so this has meant when I cook for us both at home, I cook veggie. I am not dead set on becoming a vegetarian right now and am not sure if I will in the future but I have been so inspired by the many vegetarian/vegan blogs out there that I was itching to start my own. So here we go.

Thursday 27 January 2011

Keftethes and salad

These Greek meatballs are my favourite and I was determined to find a veggie and egg free way to make them. These are a bit more fragile than the meat version but worth the effort!

- Defrost 500g frozen soya mince for 5mins in the microwave.
- Add to it 1 large chopped white onion and 1 cup golden breadcrumbs
- Also add 3 tbsp dried mint, 1 tsp mixed spice, 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1 tsp salt
- Mix well
- Whisk together the equivalent of 4 eggs with Ener g egg replacer
- Stir this into the meat ball mix, use your hands to make it start to bind
- Squidge these into small patties, they are supposed to be round and slightly flat, but mine didn’t quite turn out that way
- Shallow fry on medium heat turning when golden.
- Serve with a salad of tomato, cucumber, white cabbage and white onion dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and salt
- Also nice with a toasted pita bread and fresh houmus
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment